This sanctuary was on its third pipe organ, a
Moller, originally built and installed in 1928. The organ was designed to play the traditional church music of the period which
consisted of accompanying choir and congregational singing as well as providing background music during worship.
At that time, a two-manual console controlled twenty ranks of pipes.
In most cases, a rank consists of a unique set of 61 pipes that sound over five octaves voiced to simulate a musical instrument, such as an Oboe, Flute, Trumpet or any other specific musical sound.
Several of these ranks are grouped together and form a division.
This organ is organized into five divisions: Great,
Swell, Choir, Echo and
A common Moller practice during this time period was to share ranks between divisions, giving the impression of a larger organ.
Unfortunately, this sharing made it impossible to play full divisions simultaneously as well as making each division sound similar, thus limiting the musical variety achieved with a larger pipe organ.
A major reason for division sharing was to lower the initial cost of the instrument.
Another Moller practice was the use of the leather intensive electro-pneumatic action.
The components that the organist uses to control the organ, (stop draw knobs, switches, keyboards and pedals), all operate electrical switches that send signals to pneumatic devices and valves located in the organ chambers.
These components, in addition to various seals and bellows, eventually need
to have the leather replaced.
Some repair and modifications were done in the 1950's. Later on, in 1974, the original two-manual console was replaced with a new
Moller three-manual console. Due to the shared architecture of the organ, the third manual
did not provide any additional musical control over the organ. By
1998, the church realized the existence of several problems
with the organ. Some problems were due to a lack of regular maintenance and the normal passage of time while others were more serious requiring a complete releathering, reconditioning of some pipes and the repairing or replacing of the pneumatic-electrical action.
Our firm was originally called in to rebuild and provide further additions to the 1928 vintage organ.
After carefully examining the organ and many meetings later, a new organ was emerging.
Based upon the extent of additions desired, the existing Moller chests were not suitable due to extensive borrowing and duplexing (Choir and Great divisions shared one chest).
As a result, we designed and constructed all new chests with almost all of them using electro-mechanical action.
This allowed much greater flexibility in the redesign of the chamber as well as in the reliability of the organ.
We provided new pipework and re-scaled the several retained Moller ranks.
The new Swell division is now located above the Choir division, both of which are behind and surrounded by the Great and Pedal divisions.
The Swell, Choir and Echo divisions are in individual chambers, each under independent expression.
The Great is exposed while the Pedal is on the sides of the Swell and Choir.
The organ now has a properly developed Diapason Chorus providing a solid backbone for the new instrument.
The Echo, located in the ceiling, incorporates original Moller pipework and can be played from any of the three manuals.
It was fitted with a new, silent blower to ensure tuning stability.
This new Elsener pipe organ is now capable of fully supporting all aspects of church music as well as performance of the great works of the masters!
The church now has a very powerful music program as well, please visit their
for all the exciting events.